|This article is about the lion as it appears in Voltron: Legendary Defender-related interpretations. For a list of other meanings, see Yellow Lion (disambiguation).|
The Yellow Lion is one of the components of Voltron, serving as the left leg of the giant robot, whose Paladin is Hunk. The Yellow Lion was the second of the 5 lions to be found, and reflected Hunk's personality of a large and armored attacker. The Yellow Lion is also a large lion, not as large as the Black Lion, but larger than the Red and Green Lions, and approximately the same size as the Blue Lion. The Yellow Lion generally takes down its targets by body - slamming or breaking off parts of the target. Hunk refers to the Yellow Lion as a boy.
The Yellow Lion uses a tail laser and the laser in its mouth to destroy targets. The tail laser is much more reliable and focused, while the laser in its mouth is wider and has much more power.
In the second season, the Yellow Lion was shown manifesting a rocket booster pack and massive claws. Using them makes it a more dangerous melee fighter: the claws being able to tear through most materials with ease and the booster not only gives the Lion extra speed but making it a more effective battering ram. Outside of combat, the rocket pack and claws can be used to dig the Yellow Lion into position to brace against and hold heavy loads.
In the third season, the Yellow Lion can spiral through rock.
Hunk's Bayard can turn into a large multi or single targeting weapon that Voltron can use. The weapon is intensely powerful, and from what we can tell, the power in the weapon is not lost when it is split up. It is adept at taking down large fleets.
- Hunk refers to the Yellow Lion as a boy.
- The original yellow paladin was Gyrgan of Rygnirath.
|V • E Team Voltron in Voltron: Legendary Defender|
|Voltron (Black Lion • Red Lion • Green Lion • Blue Lion • Yellow Lion)|
|Former Paladins||Keith • Pidge • Hunk • Lance • Allura • Shiro • Shiro (clone) • Zarkon • Alfor • Trigel • Blaytz • Gyrgan|
|Additional Members||Coran • Space Mice • Rover|
|Guardian Spirit of Land
The Yellow Lion is piloted by the team’s most trusted mechanic, Hunk. This lion is fortified with superior armor and battlements. It is the strongest and most blast-resistant of all the lions. Although this Lion seems like a gentle giant, when duty calls it will always rise to the occasion and do whatever it takes to protect its team.
The Yellow Lion is the Lion originally piloted by Gyrgan that forms the left leg of Voltron. It is found on a planetoid being mined by the Galra Empire. The new Yellow Paladin who pilots the Lion is Hunk.
Weapons & Abilities
The Yellow Lion is the slowest of the Lions but makes up for this shortcoming with its heavily fortified armor. It is said to be the most blast-resistant Lion. This defensive strength makes the Yellow Lion unfazed by most enemy fire and allows it to easily crush foes by ramming into them with its heavy body. However, this does render the Lion highly at a disadvantage and vulnerable when submerged in water.
- Claws: At each of the Lion's paws, tough enough to damage armor of a Galra warship.
- Tail Laser: Mounted at the tip of the Lion's tail and moderately damages targets at long range.
- Mouth Cannon: Mounted within the Lion's jaws and severely damages targets at long range.
- Jaw Blade: Summoned at the Lion's jaws, a blade used for cutting targets at close range. It can be tossed like a boomerang.
- Force Field: When stationary, the Lion can activate an impassible energy sphere to encase and protect itself. The force field will react to a chosen Paladin and dissipate, or be willingly disengaged by the Lion.
- Speeder: A small transportation vehicle unique in design for its Paladin to traverse environments; the speeder drops from the Lion's chest, and is stored in the Castle of Lions when the Lion is not in use, transporting the Paladin to the Lion when needed.
- Thrusters: Mounted on each of the Lion's back legs and on all four paws; these powerful engines are used for initiating flight, increasing speed, or slowing descent.
Once Voltron is formed, the Lion allows a weapon to be summoned when combined with a Bayard. The nature of the weapon depends on the Paladin wielding the Bayard, not the Bayard or Lion itself. When multiple Bayards are combined with respective Lions, the summoned weapon is upgraded into a more powerful form.
The Yellow Lion has an affinity with the element of land. It is able to unlock augmented Lion Armor, granting the Lion a pair of larger claws and a booster pack which increases the Lion's strength and speed, as well as its stability and balance on harrowing surfaces. Hunk unlocks this ability through his desire to protect the Taujeerians.
Like all Lions, the Yellow Lion possesses some measure of sapience. Through his mental connection to the Yellow Lion, Hunk is able to understand its suggestions on the next course of action during a battle.
- If all Lions are built to standard, the Lion can be entered and exited through the mouth, the top of its head, or through its chest with its speeder. It would also have an emergency eject function to drop passengers from the cockpit floor like the Blue Lion.
- The Yellow Lion is described as the "strongest" Lion, but this is also how the Black Lion is described, and the Black Lion has a higher damage rating than the Yellow Lion.
- According to Playmates Toys, the Yellow Lion "can claw through solid rock if necessary, and can operate in highly magnetic areas that cause problems for the other Lions". These abilities have yet to be seen in-series.